Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Mattison and Jeff Hafley will be the new Co-DCs in Columbus....Weird

Comment

• Welp. They went 13-1 with the worst Ohio State defense in decades. So, maybe defense just doesn't matter. But, man, I dunno. The best I can do is defer and see how this plays out and hope to god Day keeps the offense humming.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Speaking of good offense, Dwayne Haskins makes it official and declares for the NFL draft. Slow news day here in Columbus.

Comment

• I suppose Mattison got an ringing endorsement from Meyer

Comment

• Also, LJS gets a "promotion" to Associate Head Coach. Good for him.

If I had to guess re Schiano, he could have stayed, but wanted out. I don't think being a college coordinator is what he wants to do. I think he'll end up back in the NFL as a DC.

So, Day went the Geezer/Young Buck combo. Mattison, I suppose, is a known quantity. Hafley, hmmm, I guess I'll have to read up on him. I'm not particularly well-versed in 49er position coaches.

Comment

• The Mattison transfer is interesting. So is talent's explanation of day's house-cleaning of the D staff - wow! Conflicting takes on whether or not Mattison was offered an extension by M. I don't care what the circumstances are. He gone.

Tea leaves based speculation is that Brown is staying and wanted a new DL coach. Mattison was not offered. There are several names out there to replace Mattison assuming Brown stays. One of them is Brown's DL coach when Brown was at at BC - forgot his name. The other is that Brown is leaving and Al Washington, in an effort to keep him from jumping to osu, will be promoted to DC.

Frankly, and not looking at the defense as a problem like Froot is, I'm not worried. People are calling Mattison's move a fuck you to M. I doubt that. He's a great recruiter and this asset makes sense in the context of day's reshuffle of the deck chairs on osu's defense. He'll be a great mentor for a year or two to whoever day wants to ultimately crown osu's DC. Mattison was said to want to stay in Ann Arbor until his daughter graduated from M. He's also a long time freind of the Harbaugh's; there is just no way he was told to clear out his office. No way.

This move makes a lot of sense for Mattison. He tops off his 401K and sets sail for the sunset in a couple of years. Meanwhile JH finds someone to teach Don Brown how to play zone defense.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Al Washington is coming to Ohio State to coach LBs. It'll be nice to have someone coaching LBs at Ohio State this season. He has his work cut out for him.

I'm nonplussed with Mattison in isolation, but I think the guy knows his shit. I don't expect him to turn Ohio State into a world-beating defense, but I do expect that they'll return to competently above average. The more I read about Hafley, the more optimistic I get. From both the players he coached in the NFL and the fans of the CFB teams he recruited for, it sounds like he sure as shit coach DBs and has the potential to be a great recruiter. So, pairing him with Mattison makes a ton of sense.

Most importantly, I love this because it's clear it's Ryan Day's team. Hafley is entirely a Ryan Day move. Mattison, I think, is entirely a Ryan Day move -- maybe after talking with UFM about him. Going hard after Al Washington to replace the best man in UFM's wedding as LB coach -- entirely Ryan Day. These are big moves that he'll have to own, and I love that. The safe, ball-less play was to keep most of the staff together.

And while it's still a huge longshot, if he pulls Corey Raymond, I'll be fucking throw the roof, over the moon, running naked through the streets happy.

Comment

• I also like Ryan Day for pushing for Justin Fields. He knows what he has in the QB room. He probably knows he can win plenty of games with Martell or Baldwin, but he probably also thinks he can't be "elite" with those guys. CFB is a brutal business -- ask Kelley Bryant -- and Ryan Day don't much care about Tate Martell's feelings on this one. Nor should he.

Comment

• Yep, Al Washington... he gone too.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Zach Harrison almost went to M because of Al Washington. He ended up going with the "stay close to Mama" and Larry Johnson. Imagine his situation if he had picked M and this shit came down the pike at him. Enjoy your redshirt, Zach. Learn that technique from LJS and be ready in 2020!

Comment

• Ohio State threw $1M at Corey Raymond to try to get him to leave his alma mater. He's making $400K. I actually don't think LSU can match the $1M (or that they need to), but they probably need to be in the ballpark. Several hundred thousand dollars ain't just walkin' around money to him. That's real shit. I expect LSU to get in the ballpark enough to keep him. But $1M for a position coach is a pretty aggressive play. I like it!

Comment

• Win baby. Cost is no object!

Fuck osu.

Comment

• Goddamn right. This is law of the jungle American fucking capitalism and darwinism. Put on your big boy pants and play the game, or muddle about in your skirt mumbling about moral victories, the high road and other noble pursuits of the loser.

Comment

• Those Who Leave Will Be Champions!

Comment

• ha ha cheater~!

DwbOtTVX4AEdOtJ.jpg:large.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X