Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It may be my favorite of those that I've tried -- amongst the truly regional sandwiches. I'm also a sucker for a lobster roll.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It continues to surprise me that Italian Beefs ARE still a regional thing. You would think there'd be a market for that anywhere. I mean, the sandwich is so popular in Chicago that there's at least three significant regional chains based around it.

Comment

• It's also not rocket science or regional cuisine-based (like, e.g., my beloved lobster roll). Roast beef and giardiniera aren't some sort of mystically Chicago creations. And it's SO FUCKING GOOD.

That said, it consistently amazes me that so few places do corned beef and pastrami the right way. That's also fairly basic stuff. So, it's not so easy. Of course, there are salted cured meat delis everywhere.

Fuck, I'm hungry.

italian-beef.jpg?itok=sMFKOMku.jpg
        Last edited by iam416; December 30, 2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          ............ They just got every funny ball bounce and at least one major call. They were shitting horseshoes and rabbits' feet all night.
          Kinda like dobbins fumbling on a big run play and having the ball bounce right back into his hands. Back breaker. I have NO sympathy for bucky. None.

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          I hate that Dabo won.......
          Sweeney, IMO, is a first rate a-hole.

I know talent disagrees with my take that osu errors were the prominent factor in osu's loss to Clemson but this reasoning and excuse making by osu fans, players and even coaches and the AD approaches PSU levels of complaining and making excuses for a loss.

Let's be clear. osu lost a close football game between two very good football teams. Did bad calls by officials contribute? Yes, I think they did and Linesman made some excellent points in his post about how CFB needs to address the problem of bad officiating that affects the outcome of big games more than it should. I'm sure he'll agree with me that "part time" CFB officials that keep their jobs even though they are often worse than many HS level officials because of a "good 'ol boy network" that protects incompetence..... and the replay officials in the booth overturned two calls on the field that you can argue should not have been over-turned. But .......

............justin fields threw an INT with olave running the wrong route to end what would have been a huge, comeback win proving that great teams coach and play through bad officiating. I think there's evidence in this game that osu coaches and players made enough execution and coaching errors to not do that. YMMV.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I have NO sympathy for bucky. None.
            I've let this slide, but "bucky" is Wisconsin. Bucky is Bucky the Badger. No one calls Ohio State "bucky" but for those tangoing with dementia.

I know talent disagrees with my take that osu errors were the prominent factor in osu's loss to Clemson
            You must not have read any of my posts on this game. Whatever. As I noted, roughly 8 to 10 plays had to go Clemson's way or they would have lost. As I noted, ALL of them went Clemson's way. As I noted, only 3 of those were calls and only one was egregious wrong. As I noted, that still leaves about 7 plays that OSU had a chance to make to win the game including 3 plays in the red zone on 3 separate possessions that ended up accounting for 12 points.

The thing I disagreed with you on is your assertion that Clemson is better than Ohio State. My assertion is that Ohio State, if things had gone their way -- or if even they win 50% of those plays -- blows Clemson out. This game was played in roughly the range of Clemson by 1 score to Ohio State by 4 scores. It maxed out on the Clemson side. That's why it sucks so bad.

Your view, apparently, is that, hey -- Ohio State always makes a bunch of unforced errors -- that's who they are -- so there's no there's no reason to expect anything different. Your view, of course, is contradicted by roughly 45 of Ohio State 48 quarters leading up this game, but, whatever.

Rant away, dude. Get out your M talking points. Rehash whatever you want to rehash. Embrace your newfound Clemson fandom. It's all good because I know you're not going anywhere and I know, unlike a couple posters in this thread, you'll be here next November to take your medicine just as you have been for as long as I've been here. So, get your licks in through your proxy, but if you're gonna misrepresent what I say, then I'll have to respond.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              It's also not rocket science or regional cuisine-based (like, e.g., my beloved lobster roll). Roast beef and giardiniera aren't some sort of mystically Chicago creations. And it's SO FUCKING GOOD.

That said, it consistently amazes me that so few places do corned beef and pastrami the right way. That's also fairly basic stuff. So, it's not so easy. Of course, there are salted cured meat delis everywhere.

Fuck, I'm hungry.
              True. I've stumbled across a few restaurants around Columbus that purport to serve an Italian Beef (or a beef by another name) and they've invariably been disappointing. And until you clued me onto Danny's I had never found a really good corned beef/pastrami place in Columbus. And they're not even really a Columbus-originated business.

Back before they shut the place down i had tried that Harvey and Ed's restaurant in Short North. Cameron Mitchell's rare failure. They were attempting to imitate a NY Jewish deli so I thought I might finally be in for a treat. But the corned beef was very meh.

Comment

• The corned beef in Columbus is criminal. It amazes me how little hole in the wall places in Cleveland can produce a topshelf corned beef/pastrami sandwich and dipshits in Columbus and numerous other places produce run-of-the-mill crap.

Danny's, as you noted, is Cleveland-based. It's the identical menu to their Cleveland operation -- which, if you've never been -- is a total hole in the wall diner set-up that is no where near as nice as their Columbus location.

Comment

• One of the biggest arguments I've had with my wife in the past 10 years was when we went to Chicago about 6-7 years ago, (Jeff will remember the key-fob incident) and my wife wouldn't let me go looking for the Italian Beef place I saw on the Food Channel. I didn't know exactly how to get there, and all I had was my rinky-dink Magellan GPS that had inaccurate street info programmed in. I was ready to hunt the place down, but she nixed it. I still haven't had an authentic Italian Beef sandwich. Many a day I've considered jumping in my car and going without her to hunt down that place, (Al's?) .... but I'm too old to go thru a divorce now....
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Al's #1.

Comment

• Im going to watch the game again tonight.

This is a crushing loss for osu that I really cant remember one as bad? (worse than the 98 MSU game). I thought osu was going to win the NC going into the game. Dave is a funny guy, I like his pizza reviews.

Comment

• talent, read your posts, respect your analysis but osu lost, I dismissed them because I refuse to buy into the line that the better team lost ...... see above.

I'm enjoying some vicarious pleasure over watching the osu fan base melt down (not you, you've been analytic) over the loss. Look, osu is way better than Michigan, you can argue osu is better than Clemson but, osu lost ..... see above.

I don't disagree that if things had gone differently on the plays you described, osu could have won. But they didn't, osu lost. Maybe Michigan wins in AA in 2019 if dobbins doesn't have his fumble miraculously bounce back right into his hands without him missing a step or, you know, any number of things that don't go M's way when they play osu..... and M fans who try to make that argument get hammered and should get hammered.

I don't disagree with you that the officiating contributed to, I used the term amplified, circumstances affecting the outcome but osu lost ...... see above.

It's impossible to rationalize that day and the osu players shit the bed enough time in a big game to lose. As far as I'm concerned, osu and day are now fighting the meme that osu can't win the "big games." It's no different than the meme Harbaugh and M players have been dealing with, just on a different level. M can't win the Big because it can't beat osu, osu can't win the NC because it can't get through the other three seeds.

Welcome to the club of also rans,
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Pretty awful stuff right there and you know it. I mean, that wall of shitposting is from the same person who claimed M was actually better than Wisconsin this season AFTER Wisky beat the living fuck out of M. Whatever.

Back to regional lunch sandwiches.

Comment

• Yikes

Comment

• I think everybody had it right except the replay guy.

Its just more ammunition to my argument that replay is being used to over officiate, or micro-officiate, instead of fixing obvious mistakes.

When replay was first conceived, it was supposed to do just that. Fix mistakes. It was not intended to be a tool for micro-officiating, to split hairs or otherwise cause even more controversy. Fix the fricking mistakes. Period.

Until we get more common sense from the NCAA and those who run the officiating mafia, its unfortunately not going to change.
                              Last edited by lineygoblue; December 30, 2019, 04:46 PM.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

Working...
                                X