Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Fauci: COVID-19 Will “Make Decision” For NFL

May 11th, 2020 at 8:36am CST by Zach Links

If the NFL goes ahead with its 2020 season, they’ll have to take drastic measures to keep players safe. In an interview with Peter King of NBC Sports, Dr. Anthony Fauci gave his thoughts on how the league might approach the coming campaign in the social distancing era.

[RELATED: NFL Lays Out Plan For Reopening Facilities]

If you really want to be in a situation where you want to be absolutely certain, you’d test all the players before the game. And you say, Those who are infected: Sorry, you’re sidelined,” Fauci said. “Those who are free: Get in there and play.

And, for absolute certainty, the NFL would have to test hundreds of athletes daily – possibly multiple times per day. Even with social distancing measures and limited practices, players would likely be in close proximity to each other throughout the week.

If I test today, and I’m negative, you don’t know if I got exposed tomorrow,” Fauci said. “There’s no guarantee that you’re going to get exposed and be positive the next day. To give you an example, you’re probably reading in the newspapers that there’s an infection in the White House. I was exposed to that person. So I immediately got tested. I am negative. So, I’m negative yesterday. I don’t know if I’m going to be negative Monday. Understand? It’s almost an impossible situation.”

Then, there’s the obvious risk of in-game transmission. The virus isn’t known to transmit via sweat, Fauci said, but breathing means viral shedding, and heavy breathing in close quarters has the potential to be dangerous.

To be 100 percent sure, you’ve got to test every day,” Fauci said. “But that’s not practical and that’s never going to happen. But you can diminish dramatically by testing everybody Saturday night, Sunday morning, and say OK, only negative players play.”

At the same time, Fauci stressed that he cannot predict the fate of the 2020 NFL season. “The virus will make the decision for us,” the infectious disease expert said, stressing that he is sharing his educated opinion, rather than a surefire forecast. In my uneducated opinion, I believe that the potential safety measures will be balanced with public relations concerns. If testing is not widely available by September, the NFL will have a hard time justifying tens of thousands of tests for athletes and key personnel. And, without rapid and constant testing, football won’t be feasible.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
      Oh, and the only 2 ways to cure us is if we:
      1. Quarantine everyone, EVERYONE, for a 2-3 week period and everyone is checked. Everyone that has the virus goes to a local facility and quarantined. Everyone else goes back to living.
      2. Vaccination/cure
      That's the list. As unbelievable as 2 would be, number 1 would never happen. Because people are too selfish and some too caught up with other crap that they think is as important (or more so).
      I just thought of a third option. Test, test, test, etc... For a month. Everyday..Get treated and distance. This would take at least a billion tests (and the facilities to produce the results).
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• If making sense was a human trait, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Comment

• I hope this helps...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19

How to Wear a Cloth Face Covering

Cloth face coverings should—
          • fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
          • be secured with ties or ear loops
          • include multiple layers of fabric
          • allow for breathing without restriction
          • be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape

Comment

• I'm in a smaller town (Greenville). Only about 50% are wearing any face covering and probably half of those are wearing them incorrectly (nose exposed).

What surprises me the most are the number of medical professionals not wearing masks. We counted 6 different scrub wearing, Spectrum badge wearing health care people without. You would think they would want to set an example (or at least be worried what their employers would think). If they don't think it is important, why should redneck, "bubba" dragging around his wife and 4 snot nosed kids?

Comment

• Originally posted by foxhopper View Post
              I'm in a smaller town (Greenville). Only about 50% are wearing any face covering and probably half of those are wearing them incorrectly (nose exposed).

What surprises me the most are the number of medical professionals not wearing masks. We counted 6 different scrub wearing, Spectrum badge wearing health care people without. You would think they would want to set an example (or at least be worried what their employers would think). If they don't think it is important, why should redneck, "bubba" dragging around his wife and 4 snot nosed kids?
              And this comes from those at the federal level (looking at you President Trump and VP Pence) that refuse to wear masks. In fact, a report came the other day that VP Pence would not meet with CEOs (who were wearing masks) unless they were not wearing a mask as well.
              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ck/gloves.html

When to wear gloves

For the general public, CDC recommends wearing gloves at these times.

When cleaning

When you are routinely cleaning and disinfecting your home.
                • Follow precautions listed on the disinfectant product label, which may include-
                  • wearing gloves (reusable or disposable) and
                  • having good ventilation by turning on a fan or opening a window to get fresh air into the room you’re cleaning.
                • Wash your hands after you have removed the gloves.

When caring for someone who is sick

If you are providing care to someone who is sick at home or in another non-healthcare setting
                • Use disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting the area around the person who is sick or other surfaces that may be frequently touched in the home.
                • Use disposable gloves when touching or having contact with blood, stool, or body fluids, such as saliva, mucus, vomit, and urine.
                • After using disposable gloves, throw them out in a lined trash can. Do not disinfect or reuse the gloves.
                • Wash your hands after you have removed the gloves.

When gloves aren’t needed

Wearing gloves outside of these instances (for example, when using a shopping cart or using an ATM) will not necessarily protect you from getting COVID-19 and may still lead to the spread of germs. The best way to protect yourself from germs when running errands and after going out is to regularly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.

Other ways to protect yourself

COVID-19 is a respiratory virus and is mainly spread through droplets created when a person who is infected coughs, sneezes, or talks. You can protect yourself by keeping social distance (at least 6 feet) from others and washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds (or using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol) at key times, and practicing everyday preventive actions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the most misused PPE ever. As this information from the CDC attempts to explain, people wear them as if the virus can be absorbed in the skin. It can't. But what happens (and I just watched a lady with no mask but gloves touch everything from the cart and other exterior public surfaces to her trunk, car doors, interior of her car and the goods she just purchased) is people transfer contaminants to their "safe zone."

Ditch the gloves. They just give people a false sense that they are safe when in reality, you are much more unsafe. Wash your hands. Disinfect your hands. Wearing gloves does not change this one single bit.

Comment

• Just another reason we need more testing...lol
                  https://globalnews.ca/news/6910821/c...goat-tanzania/

Comment

• And here's one for Agent Smith AKA CGVT...
                    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...6/text?r=2&s=1

You just can't make this shit up folks. It just doesn't "make sense" that congress would name their bill "6666" with no idea this wouldn't get the truthers all reenergized and lathered up...lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                      If there was actual federal leadership then #1 option would not be a pipe dream.
                      Would have to be worldwide or it'd just re-enter the country later
                      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Bwahaha

https://chaser.com.au/national/anti-...vHwy6c3VnD_w_c

Anti 5G protester frustrated conspiracy video is taking so long to download
                        MAY 11, 2020

WRITTEN BY
                        CAM SMITH
                        TWITTER: @CAMS_MYTH1st of your 1,000,000 free articles this monthMore News

“Facemask would make me look stupid” claims 70 year old with a spraytan
                        World
                        Trump abandons war on corona, citing bone spurs
                        World
                        Braindead Kim Jong Un drafted into NRL
                        World
                        Local anti-5G protester Darren Datsun has cancelled plans to spend the day watching conspiracy videos on YouTube, after his slow internet connection caused the video service to drop out for the eight time in an hour.

“God, when is this country going to start providing better internet,” asked Darren, days after burning down the local high speed internet tower. “Also when is wireless internet going to finally take off, I can’t wait another six years for the NBN to finally reach my area.”

Instead, Darren has turned to traditional ADSL internet, which he says is much safer for his health. “Yea all I had to do was run a cable by drilling a hole through my asbestos walling, and then plug it into my 5G router,” explained Darren. “That way I’ve avoided the harmful 5G rays and… aw wait shit.”
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• In my case wearing a mask has been a godsend. People keep saying I look better. Plus, I'm harder for big brother to track.

Comment

• My wife and I got home from grocery shopping and when she took off her mask it wasn't my wife.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Upgrade or downgrade?

Comment

• LOL
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X