No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, DSL, I saw your ad. I would like to buy your air compressor. Would you take $125 for it?
    Attached Files
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Officials in Lund, Sweden, were concerned about people spreading the corona virus in the town's central park as they gathered for Walpurgis Night on April 30, a traditional celebration welcoming longer, warmer days that includes picnics and bonfires. So to discourage revelers, the town spread chicken manure all over the park. "This is a park where usually 30,000 people gather, but with COVID-19, this is now unthinkable," Mayor Philip Sandberg told Reuters. "We don't want Lund to become an epicenter for the spread of the disease. Even a small number of people still going to the park can become a big risk."
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• In an unrelated story, Lund is suffering from an outbreak of various airborne diseases typically associated with chickenshit.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
          Officials in Lund, Sweden, were concerned about people spreading the corona virus in the town's central park as they gathered for Walpurgis Night on April 30, a traditional celebration welcoming longer, warmer days that includes picnics and bonfires. So to discourage revelers, the town spread chicken manure all over the park. "This is a park where usually 30,000 people gather, but with COVID-19, this is now unthinkable," Mayor Philip Sandberg told Reuters. "We don't want Lund to become an epicenter for the spread of the disease. Even a small number of people still going to the park can become a big risk."
          Don't give Gretchen Whitmer any ideas, Jon.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• There's actually some sensible journalism that calls into question the continued shuttering of businesses starting to appears. An article that assails the binary dialogue on re-opening - lives v. the economy - appeared in the Atlantic of all places. It correctly argues the decision to re-open or not should involve more than two factors. I'll link it later. Worth a read.

Elon Musk announced late yesterday he was moving Tesla's main manufacturing facility from Fulerton CA after local officials there said the facility couldn't re-open. That's 45K jobs that will move to nearby Nevada who's state is a bit less restrictive - like WAAAAY less - and who's officials are overjoyed by the move.

Things are going to get real over the next month. I think we could all see that happening a couple weeks ago, well, some did. Big corporate players aren't going to put up with the dire predictions that people gonna die; smaller businesses will benefit from state and local officials coming to their senses, realizing yep, people are going to get sick and die, probably not in the dire numbers the stay shuttered crowd declares, but reopening may prevent more deaths and despair than staying shuttered will save.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Staffers allege NYC nursing home is covering up covid deaths. Officially they've had 25 die from it. But staff says they had 119 people die in the months of March & April, much higher than normal, and it's dubious that more of those deaths weren't from the disease. By comparison around 10 people at the facility died the entire month of January.

While the nursing home said 25 residents died at the home, or in hospitals, from confirmed and suspected COVID-19 in March and April, two insiders told The Post that 119 residents have died in the …

Comment

• Happy MOTHer's Day!!

Flying Inoshiro Honda GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Staffers allege NYC nursing home is covering up covid deaths. Officially they've had 25 die from it. But staff says they had 119 people die in the months of March & April, much higher than normal, and it's dubious that more of those deaths weren't from the disease. By comparison around 10 people at the facility died the entire month of January.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/09/staffe...avirus-deaths/
                  The nursing home or staff within it are not going to know the cause of death. They can speculate about it but will not know with certainty. Only a coroner who does an autopsy at the request of the family or by official notice, and public health authorities may do that, and then that's not going to be sorted out with a lot of clarity. This report draws a conclusion not supported by any facts.

Now, if we knew that all 119 of those deaths conclusively tested + for SARS-COV-2 in the immediate period before their death, sure. But the article doesn't say that only that "staff" reported a bunch of deaths in March and April and that the nursing home wasn't doing much testing. That doesn't square with Cuomo's statements about the amount of testing going on NY state's nursing homes. Then, "staff", the report alleges, say the nursing home is covering up COVID deaths.

All these deaths could very well could be SARS-COV-2 related but it's fear mongering to offer this headline:

........nursing home is covering up coronavirus deaths

Serious question DSL. Why should a rational person be interested in this kind of trash that stokes fear and paranoia?
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Because it stokes fear and paranoia. That IS the narrative. Well, that and how terrible the US is and how we need massive systemic change.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• As promised, the link to the Atlantic Article I spoke of up thread. If you have visited the Atlantic On-Line site, you get 5 free reads. I have 4 left as I don't go there a lot.

In a CNN news analysis, Daniel Burke offers this characterization of America’s choice: “Should we reopen the economy to help the majority or protect the lives of the vulnerable?”

Denunciations of that sort cast the lockdown debate as a straightforward battle between a pro-human and a pro-economy camp. But the actual trade-offs are not straightforward. Set aside “flattening the curve,” which will continue to make sense. Are ongoing, onerous shutdowns warranted beyond what is necessary to avoid overwhelming ambulances, hospitals, and morgues?

The answer depends in part on an unknown: how close the country is to containing the virus.

The rest of the article goes on to the "actual trade-offs" in, what I think is the least emotional way I've found to date. Worth a read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...iously/611419/

Comment

• The people saying no reopening until the disease is eradicated are as numerous as the conservatives marching in the streets screaming about vaccines being poison and demanding Bill Gates' arrest.

To my knowledge nearly every state in the country, besides those that never shut down, has begun reopening in some way shape or form. Where have the advocates of "total lock-down until deaths are at zero" successfully gotten their way? Not even New York is going to wait around till that happens.

Comment

• Point taken ...... however, what we're seeing are three phenomena with significant negative impact on renewed economic activity: (1) State wide re-opening plans being ignored by local officials - I'd call those plans locally subverted as being hi-jacked by extremists that advocate "total lock-down until deaths are at zero". They're out there - or degrees of them - and have the ears of decision makers up and down all levels of government. (2) Business owner's fear of liability. (3) Consumer's fear of venturing out and/or spending.

I'm not sure much can be done about these phenomena other than to continue being vocal about the lack of facts as a basis for any of them. I'd like to see some protection in the law from COVID related liability for business owners, not blanket, but rather limited. The other two phenomena are products of the incessant flow of bad news - your link to the New York Post article as an example - from the media that is misleading, often not based on facts/data and serve no useful purpose other than to stoke a narrative of fear and paranoia.

Perhaps it's happening in the depths of government that we aren't privy to but the polarization of the two sides of this discussion, I believe, is preventing rational dialogue and from that, well informed action. Because of that, I'm not particularly optimistic about an economic recovery. I think government at all levels lacks leadership. There are exceptions but, it seems, as one moves down the ladder of decision makers, those that are authorized to implement action, lack the strength of conviction and leadership to do so, fearing the consequences of whatever they do to damage them personally.

Comment

• There's no need for accurate information, foresight, planning, or cooperation. The answer is more helicopter money!
                            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The flexibility of Electoral College voters comes before the Supreme Court.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN22M0JL

If you enjoy numbers and have an eye on the economy, you'll like the US Debt Clock.

Continuously Updated US National Debt Clock Real Time US Debt Clock, Mortgage Calculator, Loan Calculator

Last edited by Ghengis Jon; May 11, 2020, 06:03 AM.

Comment

• Will be a lot of retail pain this week. Stage Stores filed bankruptcy last night. I'm not very familiar with them but I recognize some of their store chains: Peebles, Gordman's, Goody's, etc. If they can't find a buyer there's over 500 stores at risk.

The long-awaited JC Penney's bankruptcy is also probably happening this week. They say around 200 of their stores might close immediately.

Comment

Working...
                                X