No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida cases have been spiked for 3 weeks. They're still not experience deaths in any sort of the alarming numbers the NE was. Maybe that will change. But when NY was seeing 8 and 9K cases per day, they were seeing almost 1K deaths. That's an order of magnitude higher than Florida.

In Ohio, deaths have yet to spike after three weeks. In fact, they look like they've decreased a little.

Hannibal's chart from Florida was the first data I've seen that combines cases AND deaths for age group (usually it's just deaths). I was most interested in the 45-54 group (heh)....it's shockingly low...like, I thought the CFR was really low for that group -- but I was surprised by how low.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Deaths in the US remain slightly elevated from immediately pre-spike, but still below middle of May numbers which were from roughly 40K cases per day.

Comment

• Talent -- some great reading material about the perception of Covid-19 risks vs. reality.

Guess which generation vastly overestimates the risk of getting Covid-19 and dying from it? I'll give you a hint -- it is the generation that has fanatically embraced Periods for Men, Black Lives Matter, Marxism, and Drag Queen Story Hour.

The 18-34 group in our data reports a median believed conditional fatality rate of 2%. However, available epidemiological estimates for the US or other developed countries using different samples and methods indicate a conditional death rate for this age group of at most about 0.2% (Ferguson et al. 2020, Covid CDC Response Team 2020, Modi et al. 2020, Russell et al. 2020). The young appear to assess their mortality risk to be more than 10 times the available data.
        2020-07-15_12-33-28.png

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Florida cases have been spiked for 3 weeks. They're still not experience deaths in any sort of the alarming numbers the NE was. Maybe that will change. But when NY was seeing 8 and 9K cases per day, they were seeing almost 1K deaths. That's an order of magnitude higher than Florida.

In Ohio, deaths have yet to spike after three weeks. In fact, they look like they've decreased a little.

Hannibal's chart from Florida was the first data I've seen that combines cases AND deaths for age group (usually it's just deaths). I was most interested in the 45-54 group (heh)....it's shockingly low...like, I thought the CFR was really low for that group -- but I was surprised by how low.
          Florida just hit their new highest death toll in one day (112). There was speculation a couple of months ago that Florida was reattributing Covid deaths to pneumonia but I'm not sure what came of that.

Comment

• Yes. 112. The Genius of Cuomo was recording deaths over 750 for weeks and on some gruesome days, over 1000 which is, as I noted, an order of magnitude higher than Florida.
            Last edited by iam416; July 15, 2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• When people say "spike" I want to see numbers. "Spike" is relative. Numbers matter. And in this case, the number that absolutely matters is deaths. Full stop.

Comment

Yes. 112. The Genius of Cuomo was recording deaths over 750 for weeks and on some gruesome days, over 1000 which is, as I noted, an order of magnitude higher than Florida.
                Yep. Of course there were much tougher circumstances in NYC. A lot less was known in February and March, people are in much closer proximity to each other in NYC, and things like testing kits and ventilators were a lot harder to come by at the start.

Comment

When people say "spike" I want to see numbers. "Spike" is relative. Numbers matter. And in this case, the number that absolutely matters is deaths. Full stop.
                  As I mentioned in the other thread, if you're only tracking deaths, you're missing a lot.

Comment

• I'm not particularly interested in anecdotal evidence.

But, I do know the goalposts are forever moving with this thing.

Comment

• Ec90PqvXgAc2z16.pngEc90PpjWAAE61s2.png

The Musuem of African American history describes "White Culture" with a bunch of things that sound, I dunno, awesome. Frankly, if I were an AA, I'd be offended that you're implying these things are not part of AA culture.

But, hey, whatever.
                      Last edited by iam416; July 15, 2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Of course, "The Scientific Method" is part of "whiteness." Again, STEM is racist.

Unbelievably, that is where we are in this country,.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you're only tracking deaths, you're missing a lot.
                          With respect to whether we should open schools or IMHO even playing sports, I don't think that you are. That's not to say that it wouldn't suck to get hospitalized from it, but I don't think that we should be making major sacrifices to do something besides save lives.

Comment

Ec90PqvXgAc2z16.pngEc90PpjWAAE61s2.png

The Musuem of African American history describes "White Culture" with a bunch of things that sound, I dunno, awesome. Frankly, if I were an AA, I'd be offended that you're implying these things are part of AA culture.

But, hey, whatever.
                            So blacks want nothing to do with Rugged Individualism, Family Structure, History, Protestant Work Ethic, Religion, Future Orientation, Time, Aesthetics, Holidays, or Competition?

And people say that I'm the fucking racist when I point out FBI crime statisics? JFC.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                              This story is something to track, to see if there's something to it:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1283348112153731078?s=20
                              Watch those cases suddenly start declining a bit at a time. Until suddenly, in October there are hardly any more and then Trump comes out with a vaccine. He will say if Biden is elected he will destroy said vaccine (and 35% will believe him).
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

So, then, in your estimation, since Rashard Brooks, immediately after he had taken a police officer's taser then fled during an arrest for drunk driving, and with the officer in pursuit, Brooks turns and points a weapon at the police officer who then shoots him, that's OK, right? He should not have been fired and charged with 2nd degree murder, right?
                                That is the guy that was asleep in the Wendy's drive thru?

I have not seen video on him fleeing or that moment. Is it available somewhere? I do think that prior to that point---there were things that could have been done by the officers (even though by the book they did nothing wrong) that would have accomplished what the goal (unless it was to arrest his ass) without getting to that point.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X