No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just saying those jobs are tough, I speak from experience. Attrition is big part of the job. I am definitely pro Amazon, they get a little too much guff from the critics. Their approach to the pandemic has been very good.

Comment

• Yeah, fairplay. I worked at UPS for 8 months in college. It was hard work. But, it paid well (once you got done paying your fucking union dues -- I'm a Teamster!), and it had hours options that fit into school schedules (heh, 9p to 3a).

But, if I wanted to progress, I could have moved from being an unloader to sorter to supervisor and union benefits and such.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Yeah, fairplay. I worked at UPS for 8 months in college. It was hard work. But, it paid well (once you got done paying your fucking union dues -- I'm a Teamster!), and it had hours options that fit into school schedules (heh, 9p to 3a).

But, if I wanted to progress, I could have moved from being an unloader to sorter to supervisor and union benefits and such.
          Talent knows where Hoffa is buried...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Companies are changing. You don't have to be enamored with Amazon's culture, work environment or Bezos, who I am told by people that work for Amazon is a zealot about productivity and reducing human resource costs. But Bezos and that company is a perfect example of leading edge technology being brought to the work place. It's been accelerated by COVID and Bezos was in the right place at the right time with the right stuff. The work place is changing, big time.

But, yeah, American workers who don't bring appropriate skills to the market place that on line retailers, logistics/transport companies and hi-tech manufacturers are demanding for management level positions, they aren't getting hired. They'll fall into a low skill labor pool that if they want to earn good money at all are going to have to take technology driven, labor scarce jobs in these emerging business sectors. For workers that take those few human jobs, they'll find they are really hard work even though some of them pay well. Below that labor pool what will be left are going to be service jobs.If you make more than $30K FT (2K hours/y @$15/h) at one of those and you have the initiative, you'll be working two of them to make ends meet.

I don't think this sort of staggering of wage earning in America is going to change. Income gaps will widen and there will be clamoring for ridiculous minimum wage levels and redistributive tax policies/social programs. The Helicopter money should be concerning going forward for promoting and enabling these policies. The post COVID labor market isn't going to replicate the plethora of low skill, "middle income" generating jobs of the previous 50 years and even those started disappearing 20-30y ago. Biden/Harris won't last through 2024. The writing is on the wall for more populism and more appeal to populist, right wing Trumpian like politicians who espouse them.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I might have to take back what I said about how there's no way that he Dems will win both Georgia seats. There's a pretty wide enthusiasm gap there in favor of the Dems right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                I might have to take back what I said about how there's no way that he Dems will win both Georgia seats. There's a pretty wide enthusiasm gap there in favor of the Dems right now.
                Trump's post election antics have done enormous damage to both R candidates, one of whom, David Purdue, is pretty decent. Not as convinced on Kelly Loeffler who was appointed to the Senate position when Isackson retired.

To me, the D TV adds have been more numerous and alot better than either of the R candidates and a lot of that has to do with big money coming in to fund Warnock and Ossoff. Like you, I didn't think Warnock had a chance. Ossoff? Maybe becasue of his presidential candidate exposure. But Trump has absolutely blown up Loeffler's campaign and it's given Warnock the inside track. Purdue/Ossoff is closer.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• At the level 1 level, Amazon is always thirsting for workers and will be for a long time. For the logistics division, their goal is to be able to deliver to the very part of the US without having to farm out to USPS. That is a tall order and for any worker it does mean growth opportunities for people who want it.

Comment

• Perdue beat Ossoff. Clearly. Fairly. Unfortunately, the Georgia rules are such that he has to beat him again. I can only imagine the howling of the Ds if such rules worked to their disadvantage.

Comment

. I can only imagine the howling of the Ds if such rules worked to their disadvantage.
                      Probably not as much as you are
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Trump's post election antics have done enormous damage to both R candidates, one of whom, David Purdue, is pretty decent. Not as convinced on Kelly Loeffler who was appointed to the Senate position when Isackson retired.

To me, the D TV adds have been more numerous and alot better than either of the R candidates and a lot of that has to do with big money coming in to fund Warnock and Ossoff. Like you, I didn't think Warnock had a chance. Ossoff? Maybe becasue of his presidential candidate exposure. But Trump has absolutely blown up Loeffler's campaign and it's given Warnock the inside track. Purdue/Ossoff is closer.
                        What has done the most damage to the R candidates is years of betraying the base by cowardly R politicians. The Republican Party is just the Democrat party from ten years ago. Take all of the loony positions of the Ds and that is what the average R politician will be in about a decade. It's obvious now that they aren't a legitimate opposition party to the Democrats. What compelling case is there to vote for Perdue and Loeffler at this point?
                        Last edited by Hannibal; December 29, 2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Perdue beat Ossoff. Clearly. Fairly. Unfortunately, the Georgia rules are such that he has to beat him again. I can only imagine the howling of the Ds if such rules worked to their disadvantage.
                          True, but in one v. one and only two names on a ballot, the margins are closer. If you're not supporting Trump in any thing other than his push for $2K treasury checks then you're turning to Ossoff as a fuck PDJT signal. This is especially true in Fulton and Deklab counties and in urban centers of Gwinnette that are hostile to R's. Carry those three counties and you win. The shift away from Rs towards the Ds in them has been significant.

Georgia Votes.PNG
                          Georgia Votes2.PNG

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

What has done the most damage to the R candidates is years of betraying the base by cowardly R politicians. The Republican Party is just the Democrat party from ten years ago. Take all of the loony positions of the Ds and that is what the average R politician will be in about a decade. It's obvious now that they aren't a legitimate opposition party to the Democrats. What compelling case is there to vote for Perdue and Loeffler at this point?
                            I don't think the average urban voter in GA - the ones who are black, well educated and voter active - see it that way. There is immediacy bias in this cohort, that's going to drive the vote for Ds in this runoff. There are also strong pro-D anti-Trump voting trends among people who were going to vote for Ossoff/Warnock anyway but these people, along with other moderate Ds and some R's who are just plain fed-up with Trump's post election antics are going to show up to vote. R's that might support Loeffler/Purdue whose theme has been vote for us or risk radical liberals taking over America are more likely to stay home.

Comment

• True, but in one v. one and only two names on a ballot, the margins are closer.
                              There were 3 names on the ballot. The third was Shane Hazel, Libertarian. Are you really saying to me that Ossoff wins more of Hazel's vote than Perdue? Cmon. Perdue won by 1.8 points and just missed the 50% threshhold. He should still win next week. We'll see. He's polling better this go-around than he did last go-around when the polls all had Ossoff winning. But, we'll see.

Warnock is the nutjob. It's unfortunate that Ossoff and Perdue are running against each other. If they switched opponents then Perdue and Ossoff both win (IMO).

Comment

• I doubt either of the Democratic candidates win this. Their chance was in November.

Comment

Working...
                                X