Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...found the article:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yeah. One-off schools are at least worth noting, but I can at least chalk that up to some sort of local control or local preference for the batshit crazy. It's not a statewide government policy. The Illinois nonsense, though, whoa boy -- and that portends federal policy. It's coming everywhere and the local control that I value is at risk of being eradicated, at least wrt any issue re race.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Might as well start now:

你好 (Nǐ hǎo) means “hello”.

Ni Hao, y’all!
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
          Ah it's a great day when I can piss off Wiz!
          You piss me off with your mere existence.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            A new hire teacher in many states after a bachelor's degree and certification starts at mid 30’s.
            That is not exactly true when discussing the minimum hourly wage. Teachers in Michigan work 1,180 hours yearly. Further, 30% of base is the cost of the school retirement system, and Health insurance costs at least $ 18,000 yearly.

So, if you take a base of $ 35,000, $ 10,500 would go to the retirement system and $ 18,000 for health insurance. That would be $ 63,500 for the roughly 1,200 hours under the contract or roughly $ 53.00 per hour. In fact, teachers would make about $ 15.00/hr. if they had a base pay of 0.

The NEA retort is that teachers do a lot of their work at home, which used to be partially true. Almost all high schools have adopted "block scheduling" which allocates the 6 hour day into 4 blocks. One of those blocks is a teacher's "planning period". Further, each of the 4 blocks is about 70-82 minutes. Teachers and students cannot maintain engagement during the full period, so teachers "lecture" for 30-40 minutes and give homework for the last 30-40 minutes. Students complete their homework at school during the last half of each "block". Teachers seldom grade papers at home any more.

Of course, one answer to this is to apply free-market principals to education, and eliminate teacher tenure. If a teacher thought her job would be in danger, do you really think she would propagandize students? The same would hold true at the university level.

Compare that to the waitress who works 2000 hours per year (40 hour week) at $ 15.00/hr. And the waitress will get laid off in many states because the employer will not be able to make ends meet.
            Last edited by Da Geezer; January 19, 2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Happy Pardon Day!! Wiz....you're on the list, right? (Several times I imagine)
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Pardon moi?
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• LMAO....missed this, but I predicted it.

COVID Lockdowns May Have No Clear Benefit vs Other Voluntary Measures, International Study Shows

The peer reviewed study, which was conducted by a group of Stanford researchers and published in the Wiley Online Library on January 5, analyzed coronavirus case growth in 10 countries in early 2020.

Comment

• I, for one, welcome our new all-knowing Technocrats. May they bless us with their wisdom time and time again. #TrustScience
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      I, for one, welcome our new all-knowing Technocrats. May they bless us with their wisdom time and time again. #TrustScience
                      And to think all we had to do was elect KamalaJoe.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        LMAO....missed this, but I predicted it.

COVID Lockdowns May Have No Clear Benefit vs Other Voluntary Measures, International Study Shows
                        Don't get me wrong, I'm an opening advocate. But, one of the principal authors of this study was on the panel that published the Barrington Declaration. It was highly critical of Lockdowns that at that point were widely regarded as helpful. The declaration was criticized for its lack of evidence.

If a location locks down, by default personal movement and contacts are reduced. It follows that viral spread will be reduced. The problem with lockdowns obviously is the social and economic cost of doing them. Few countries or US states have dealt well with these trade offs. Admittedly, this is not easy when you're talking more people dieing and at accelerating death rates (current situation nationally).

I read an article yesterday that suggests there is no reason to believe that transmission is not reduced with vaccination. The data to support that conclusion isn't there. Thus, the idea of fire hosing vaccines is going to decrease deaths by both protecting everyone and decreasing new cases. That makes lock downs obsolete and were already see that trend globally.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Meanwhile, in America 2.0

back-the-blue-political-cartoon.png?fit=715%2C500.png

Comment

• Welcome to THE PARTY, Mitch McConnell! Liney will now need to start referring to KamalaJoeMitch

"The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the President and other powerful people" -- Mitch McConnell

Comment

• This is Mitch's last day of being significant for a while. He's liable to say anything, because after today anything he says will be meaningless.

He's just moved to the front of the line to obey The Party.

I'm not surprised.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• McConnell will still be significant in a big way, there are 50 republican senators and he will be the lead obstructionist. Anybody who thinks otherwise was not paying attention the last time around.

In this particular case, what Mitch said was the truth. Trump lost the election and he should have conceded that he lost. This stupid narrative that he fights is ridiculous, Trump lost and Trump should have admitted it. Trying to get Pence to overthrow the electoral college votes. Anyone who says any differently is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X