No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd get the shot(s) if they were available to me.

And I'm told I qualify as a "trumper".
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I see we both just posted about the Dr. Seuss lunacy. I thought your were responding to my post at first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        There are some here who will relish this nonsense ...........

Six Dr. Seuss books — including “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo” — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy said Tuesday.

I'm not as hard-over as Talent and Hanni are about this culture canceling shit but I'm getting real close. I have a tipping point and this may be it. Dr. Seuss? Give me a break.

https://apnews.com/article/dr-seuss-...f443594c174513

Edit ...... simo-posts. Mike and are are reading the same news at the same time today.
        8c5.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

I'll write the headline for you, Jeff.

New Study Indicates 90% of U.S. Citizens Will Get Vaccinated
          Public health officials explain why that could be a BAD thing...
          I'm not surprised that the number has increased from the previous estimates, although I don't think that we'll see 90%. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• It definitely won't be 90%. I was just using that number to make my point.

Comment

• This is what America does.

Of course, Joe is going to step in and take credit for it, but J&J wouldn't have their vaccine yet had it not been for Warp Speed.

Good on Merck.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                This is what America does.

Of course, Joe is going to step in and take credit for it, but J&J wouldn't have their vaccine yet had it not been for Warp Speed.

Good on Merck.
                Remember -- America is a racist country and the world will be a better place when we have all been cut down to size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  It's Dr. Seuss's turn in the barrel.

The sales of six Dr. Seuss books will cease over racist and insensitive imagery, according to the business that preserves and protects the author's legacy.

The news comes Tuesday on
                  National Read Across America Day, when schools across the U.S. celebrate reading on Dr. Seuss's March 2 birthday to commemorate the popular children's author, who died in 1991.

"These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,"
                  Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dr-seuss-...racist-imagery

My kindergartner participated in Read Across America and their assignment was to bring your favorite Dr. Seuss book. So yay for my local school district! I never thought I'd see the day when books we bought for our small children would be banned from publication in the United States (we have a few that are on the "list").... and those books are from Dr Seuss. This is pretty sad.
                  I know Fox has been beating this story to death all day long, but Dr. Seuss hasn't been "banned" from publication. Dr. Seuss Enterprises, a foundation set up under his estate, owns the rights to all his books and self-publishes them all. Amazon didn't refuse to sell them; Wal-Mart didn't pull them from the shelves; in effect the "artist" chose to stop publishing six works he felt were inferior or embarrassing. They have that right to a point. But only to a point. But that gets into a philosophical debate over when a work of art stops becoming sole property of the artist and starts becoming property of the public. The heirs of Charles Dickens can't step forward today and declare Barnaby Rudge an embarrassing piece of shit and demand all publication cease. The older Dr. Seuss books will be hitting up against the public domain boundary in about another decade. And anything that's partly a public property ought to be available, unaltered and uncensored, in some form.

Back before George Lucas sold everything to Disney, there were debates about whether he had the "right" to lock away the original Star Wars trilogy and only make available to the public his shittier CGI-altered versions. Legally he does but there's also a bunch of questions involving ethics, artistic integrity, historical accuracy, etc. etc.

But for the record, if anyone here is mad as hell that Mr. Potato Head only comes in two genders, GET A FUCKING LIFE. And conversely, if anyone here is mad as hell that "Mr. Potato Head" has been rebranded "Potato Head", GET A FUCKING LIFE.

Comment

• Re Merck vaccine collaboration ...... a little bit of what is vitally important and not yet nearly enough of: vaccine producers sharing what is generally regarded as intellectual property.

There was an article in yesterday evenings Economist on-line version talking about this. Of course we have the WHO and COVAX designed to assure poor countries get vaccines and the wealthy ones don't hog it all. Such is life in the real world but, if the human race wants to lick the pandemic, you can't have the virus raging in Yemen or any number of lawless shit holes.

Within the last week, various public health experts around the globe have called for cooperation by the major pharmaceutical companies that made SARS-2 vaccines possible and in very short order. They argue that to get vaccine production high enough to make vaccines available across the globe, vaccine manufacturing sites recently built but operating at, in some cases, less than 50% capacity, they need access to the proprietary technical data needed to manufacture the vaccines. The argument for that cooperation rests on the fact that all of them got huge amounts of public money to develop the vaccines and should share their knowledge publicly.

The pharmaceutical companies have voiced concerns about giving up this information for nothing even though public money was involved. They point out public/private cooperation for many public health initiatives involving drugs or vaccines are common. Nothing new here with respect to pharmaceutical companies retaining intellectual property rights when this occurs. Some health care economists have argued that government or private funding should be funneled directly to vaccine manufacturers to pay big-pharma for access to vaccine related intellectual property.

IMO, unrestricted free access to proprietary methods and intellectual property is a really bad idea. If there is no incentive for profit making, then innovation stops. I'm for public/private cooperation in providing the funding necessary to get production capacity to where it needs to be but a hefty chunk of that has to pay big-pharma for the incredible job they did in getting SARS-2 vaccines to market.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Hanni, that was unexpected. But yeah, some of this isn't worth getting all worked up about.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        But for the record, if anyone here is mad as hell that Mr. Potato Head only comes in two genders, GET A FUCKING LIFE. And conversely, if anyone here is mad as hell that "Mr. Potato Head" has been rebranded "Potato Head", GET A FUCKING LIFE.
                        Certainly not there yet, but DON'T MESS WITH FOX IN SOCKS!!!

Comment

• And if anyone messes with "Blippi", I'm going to war.

Comment

• damn

now i wont be able to get Im an excavator out of my head

Comment

• My grandson would watch "The Garbage Truck" song for 12 hours straight, if I'd let him ...

Comment

• OMG, I didn’t know Blippi and the truck singing people had gone mainstream. My kids love it. Tonight they picked out “If I Ran the Zoo” to read before bed. Like REAL AMERICANS.

Comment

Working...
                                X